Friday, January 06, 2006

i've never been there either kate . . .

I got Australian Idol 2005 Winner (Team)Kate DeAraugo's album from MamaBelle and PapaBelle for Christmas and have been listening to it on and off for the last couple of weeks and I have this to say :
I think it's pretty good.
I love Faded (which I believe will be the next single) and was co-written by those cute little Veronicas girls. The song sounds very Kelly Clarkson in style (as does track 7 Victim), which I think is perfect for TeamKate's husky cords. Maybe Tonight still remains the best of the Idol Winner Singles (Poor Poor Casey - sigh) and I like the version of Heaven they've included but wish it was stripped back even further than it is. I am DEEPLY distraught that Impossible Dream isn't on it - specifically the live version she did at the Opera House where she made my chest ache just a little, she was that good. (Seriously, she sang the shit out of that song that night. Exceptional vocally.)
The rest of the album is fairly standard pop/rnb/soul fare but is still worthy of selling a freaking heap more CDs than it would appear she is currently.

But there are two tracks on it that aren't remotely up to scratch (writing wise) and feel undercooked (tracks 8 & 9 for those playing at home). They have a 'filler' feel about them and practically scream Skip Button at me as soon as they start.

Those two fillers aside, I think this is a better First CD Rushed Out PreXmas So BMG Can Get Lots And Lots Of Sales, Gee That Doesn't Seem To Be Working Anymore Perhaps We Should Let The Winner Have More Than A Week To Record It And Perhaps Some Sleep As Well, What Do You Think Dicko Please Come Back??!!! than Poor Poor Casey's and even a better one than Guy's. (Yeah, I said it.)

So get out there and buy it kids. And get yourself a copy of Spook while you're at it . . .

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

All I can say is GO KATE

I know Kate personally and she is a great girl. She is so down to earth.

Anonymous said...

Go Kate